Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Updating My Kitchen

I haven't had as much time to read lately because I am actually attempting to update my kitchen! I'm doing as much myself as possible so I thought I would share the journey. This is what my kitchen looked like when I moved into the house (2.5 years ago - I don't know how I've waited so long to fix it!).

There's no picture of the light fixture, but it's one of these disasters. Seriously it's like someone was a work one day and thought "Working under flourescent lights is Awesome - I'm going to put one in my kitchen!".



So here's my full list of what I want to do in the kitchen. It will probably take me the better part of a year to finish it all but here's to one step at a time.
  • Buy a hutch/additional cabinets
  • Eliminate the nasty light fixture and do something like this but the center fixture will be a semi flush mount. My ceilings aren't high enough for that chandelier.
  • Change out the light fixture over the eat-in area.
  • Refinish the cabinets in a dark brown. I haven't decided whether to sand them down and commit to painting them or trying Rustoleum's Cabinet Transformations. I think paint might be slightly less expensive, but Cabinet Tranformations seems a little less labor intensive and is water based. Oil based paint and my dog makes me nervous!
  • Paint the walls a neutral color - probably a creamy white. I like color and have it in most rooms in my house but the kitchen has been dark for so long I want something bright.
  • Find new window coverings - vertical blinds are ugly and a pain!
  • Replace the countertops. I'll probably price a white Corian, but end up just getting new laminate.
  • Put in a glass tile backspash - I'm hoping to find a mix of red, white, and clear tiles.
  • New sink
  • Run a gas line to the kitchen, I hope. It will depend on price because this is not something I'm comfortable DIYing.
  • Buy new appliances. If I can't do it all at once this is the order they'll happen.
    • Oven/Microwave
    • Refrigerator
    • Dishwasher - This may be a ways down the line. This one works great and dishwashers have such a short life span I don't want to waste a min of one.
  • Learn to cook ; )
Anything in green on the list I plan on paying at least for some help - I'll do as much as I can myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment