There's no picture of the light fixture, but it's one of these disasters. Seriously it's like someone was a work one day and thought "Working under flourescent lights is Awesome - I'm going to put one in my kitchen!".
So here's my full list of what I want to do in the kitchen. It will probably take me the better part of a year to finish it all but here's to one step at a time.
- Buy a hutch/additional cabinets
- Eliminate the nasty light fixture and do something like this but the center fixture will be a semi flush mount. My ceilings aren't high enough for that chandelier.
- Change out the light fixture over the eat-in area.
- Refinish the cabinets in a dark brown. I haven't decided whether to sand them down and commit to painting them or trying Rustoleum's Cabinet Transformations. I think paint might be slightly less expensive, but Cabinet Tranformations seems a little less labor intensive and is water based. Oil based paint and my dog makes me nervous!
- Paint the walls a neutral color - probably a creamy white. I like color and have it in most rooms in my house but the kitchen has been dark for so long I want something bright.
- Find new window coverings - vertical blinds are ugly and a pain!
- Replace the countertops. I'll probably price a white Corian, but end up just getting new laminate.
- Put in a glass tile backspash - I'm hoping to find a mix of red, white, and clear tiles.
- New sink
- Run a gas line to the kitchen, I hope. It will depend on price because this is not something I'm comfortable DIYing.
- Buy new appliances. If I can't do it all at once this is the order they'll happen.
- Dishwasher - This may be a ways down the line. This one works great and dishwashers have such a short life span I don't want to waste a min of one.
- Learn to cook ; )