Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

The Catastrophic History of You and Me
Jess Rothenberg
2012, 400 pgs
Library

Book Summary from Goodreads


Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever.


BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally.


But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after.


With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?


My Summary



Emotionally, Brie was a totally believable teenager. Everything is life or death – I think that’s what drew me to this premise so much – obviously having your first love break up with you is not fatal, but everything feels so much worse as a teenager.
“Love is no game. People cut their ears off over this stuff. People jump off the Eiffel Tower and sell all their possessions and move to Alaska to live with the grizzly bears, and then they get eaten and nobody hears them when they scream for help. That’s right. Falling in love is pretty much the same thing as being eaten alive by a grizzly bear.”
I loved how much Brie worried/cared about her younger brother. They had the exact same age difference as I do with my brother so I could identify. The scenes where Brie got to get a little payback were funny and I know that I would have enjoyed that opportunity (especially in high school).

Patrick (her guide) is the right mix of mystery and supportive. He’s almost a combined good boy and bad boy all rolled into one. Brie also had some cute one-liners (usually when talking to Patrick)

“There’s no such thing as too much Disney.” 
“News flash, Bozo. Don't ever tell a girl to relax. It only makes us madder.”
I can’t really put my finger on what was missing in this one for me, but I just thought it was cute. I read it in two sittings (started at 9:00 PM read for 2 hours, slept, and then picked it up again) so I really wanted to know what happen. And it did manage to surprise me – one of the twists I did see coming, but the other caught me off guard, but I thought it was cool.

Basically a cute novel that felt like it didn’t quite live up to the potential of it’s premise.


My Rating

7 out of 10 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment