Thursday, June 14, 2012

Top 10 Tuesday - Top Ten Books from my Childhood

Each Tuesday The Broke and The Bookish provide a book related Top 10 theme. This week the theme is "Top 10 authors I'd like to see on a Reality TV Show". I don't watch enough reality TV to participate. Seriously all of my authors would have to be on either House Hunters or Moving Up (okay, okay - I do watch "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding) but still not enough variety. So I'm going back and doing one of the Top 10 lists from before I started blogging.

 

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
I love this book. I remember "reading" it to my parents when I was four. I was not an early reader - just a really good memorizer.
The Berenstain Bears by Stan and Jan Berenstain
I had a lot of these books. I remember laughing hysterically at the one about Nightmares.
The Ramona books by Beverly Cleary
I've mentioned Ramona before, but she's just that cool. Also one of the movie adaptations of books that I thought was awesome. They totally captured the spirit of Ramona.
Sweet Valley Twins by Francine Pascal (who know who really wrote them)
It's almost embarrassing now, but I DEVOURED these when I was 8-10. Looking at the synopses I think I read thru book 74. If you gave me a number, I could tell you the book title. In case anyone is interested they stopped at 118.
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
I still reread this one. It's the perfect mix of sad with a happy ending. I really wanted to be like Sara - kind to everyone regardless of my personal circumstances.
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
This book felt almost magical to me.
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Oh Anne. I still love Anne. Seriously wonderful literary character. The perfect example of someone with flaws, but who you just love inspite/because of them.
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
Fun, fun, fun!
Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
I can't find my old copies of these and I have been yearning to reread them lately. Half price book store here I come!

Bonus 2 - These were my favorite books to read to my brother when he was little

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr
This is just fun to read. It's sing-songy (and I love that)
Superfudge by Judy Blume
I enjoyed reading the Fudge books to myself when I was younger, but my biggest association with them is hearing my brother giggle when I read them aloud. Might be my favorite sound in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment