Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

The Goddess Test
Aimee Carter
2011, 293 pgs
Library

Book Summary from Goodreads

EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN.

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...

My Summary

Predictable. That word encapsulates this book for me. I don’t know if the author expected the ending to surprise me as much as it surprised Kate, but it definitely did not.

That doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy reading it. This was an easy, enjoyable read. Not my favorite of the YA books that are retellings of the Hades/Persephone greek myth, but still enjoyable with it’s own spin. I would warn you though – if you are a huge fan of Greek mythology, the authors takes some large liberties with the traditional telling of these stories. I felt she gave herself a good “out” for taking those liberties, but I think that depends on the reader.

That’s really all I have to say about this one. None of the characters annoyed me, but no one really impressed me or was very memorable either.

My Rating
5 out of 10 stars

Other Reviews
Epic (Chocolate) Fantasy
Books and Sensibility
Mostly Reading YA

No comments:

Post a Comment