Monday, October 22, 2012

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood
Kendare Blake
2011, 316 pgs
Kindle

Book Summary from Goodreads

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

My Summary

Supernatural (the show on CW) in book form. 

Dean and Sam Cas is a hunter.   He only stays in one place long enough to kill whatever ghost is haunting and killing in the area and then moves on.  He doesn’t want to make friends because he doesn’t what to end up in a “Buffy” situation where he’s responsible for the lives of people who don’t know what they are doing.

My feelings about the novel are very similar to my feelings about Supernatural:  I really enjoyed the ghost story part of it (the beginning) and then it took a turn that went too far and lost me.   I loved the first couple seasons of Supernatural and then they went off the weird ledge – it was just too much.

Cas is an interesting character and so is his Wiccan mother.  I also got a kick out of there spirit sniffing cat.  But none of the friends Cas acquired in his new school every grew on me.  Also I did not like the romantic interest.  At. All.

I guess I don’t have much to say about this one – I don’t like to spoil any details.  If you are a fan of the supernatural genre you’ll probably like this one.   Also if you don't watch Supernatural but like a scary story you'll probably like this one.
It was just OK for me.

Other Reviews



My Rating
Enjoyability (3 out of 5 stars)

Character Development (2 out of 5 stars) - The romance in this one was COMPLETELY lost on me

Writing (3 out of 5 stars)

This book will stay with me until…. the next time I Netflix an episode of Supernatural.

2 comments:

  1. I'd heard this one was pretty spooky and I like that the premise is similar to Supernatural (I really miss the good days of that show, I also stopped watching it, but after like 6 seasons), but I don't really need lame romances in my life. My curiosity might overpower me here, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lasted longer on Supernatural than I did. I bought the first 4 seasons on DVD and then quit, then watched the fifth season on Netflix and quit again. I still LOVE season number 1.

      Most people have really liked the book so I may be the exception.

      Delete