Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Ten Fairytale Retellings I've Read/Want To Read

Every Tuesday the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish host a book related Top 10.


Top-10-tuesday-main_thumb1_thumb_thu[1]


This week is Top Ten Fairytale Retellings I've Read/Want To Read. I struggled with this topic a bit, but I think it’s cause I’m just not aware that books are retellings.


Top Four I Want to Read


winterDarcy's taleNever NeverRed tent


Winter by Marissa Meyer – This might be my most anticipated book this year. Meyer has done a stellar job of retelling of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, and Rapunzel while also creating a cohesive fantasy/dystopian world around them. I can’t wait for her take on Snow White.


Darcy’s Tale by Stanley Alexander Hurd – Pride and Prejudice from Mr. Darcy’s perspective.  I struggle to read Jane Austen, but I love the story of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy.


Never Never by Brianna Shrum – The Captain Hook origin story. Only reading the synopsis had me looking at the Peter Pan story differently.


The Red Tent by Anita Diamant – Not really a retelling, but the story of biblical women from Genesis who only get passing mentions in the Bible.


Top Five I Recommend


Daughter of the forestA court of thorns and rosescinderScarletcress


Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier – This is a retelling of an Irish story The Swans.  It barely counts as I was familiar with the original story when I read this one, but it’s a gorgeous story and it’s technically a retelling.


A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas – A very interesting fantasy story that re-imagines Beauty and the Beast.


Cinder/Scarlet/Cress by Marissa Meyer – See my notes on Winter above.



1 comment:

  1. I love the Lunar Chronicles, and I can't wait to read Winter and know how this series ends. A Court of Thorns and Roses is a great choice too! Great list!

    ReplyDelete