Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - If You Like that, then give this a try


Each Tuesday The Broke and The Bookish provide a book related Top 10 theme.

This week we're picking 10 recommendations based on other books/authors.  I'm not going to make it to 10, but here's my list.

If you like the early Stephanie Plum novel's from Janet Evanovich
Try the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben starting with


Coben's books aren't quite as light as Evanoviches', but they are just as funny.  They also have interesting, slightly out there secondary characters.

If you like the Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larrson

Try the Lucas Davenport series by John Sandford starting with

Bad-ass but flawed protagonist and truly evil bad guy.  These are easier reads then Steig Larrson's books, but they have the same dark feel.  Each book stands alone so you don't necessarily need to read them in order, although I would recommend it because you can see Lucas Davenport grow as a character over the course of the books - as an added bonus there are more than 20 of them so you'll have reading material for awhile!

If you like Little Earthquakes and Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner 

Try Knitting Under the Influence and If You Lived Here you'd be Home by Now by Claire Lazebnik.

I haven't liked Weiner's recent stuff as much but Claire Lazebnik hasn't gone wrong for me yet.  Chick lit with depth.


If you like The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter



Try the Paranormalcy trilogy by Kiersten White
                 

I just found both of these series fun in same way. 

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to look into Claire Lazebnik's stuff... I have loved Jennifer Weiner for a long time and would read anything she wrote, but the last few definitely don't have the same spark as her earlier works. Oh well, I still pre-ordered The Next Best Thing... after seeing her vest ad, I couldn't help myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was going to give The Next Best Thing a shot too, but I'll wait till I can get it at the library (73rd on 11 copies) so it will be awhile.

      Definitely check out Lazebnik!

      Delete
  2. Don't. Please! Please don't make me buy more books :) I've been keeping an eye on the Gallagher Girls Series and the Paranormalcy Series and everyone seems to love them and I want to love them, too and awesome lists like yours make me buy them and I really, really shouldn't do that right now :D
    Okay, this was my way of telling you that I like your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I was struggling with that a few months ago when I first discovered book blogs (I'm a tad behind the 8 ball). I renewed my library card and so far (fingers crossed) I've had minimal fines. But yes book buying is EXPENSIVE! Glad you like my list!

      Delete
  3. Those look like awesome recommendations!! I love Stephanie Plum and I really enjoyed the Milennium series so I'll definitely have to check those out. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Millenium trilogy so I'll have to check out your recommendation.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete