Thursday, October 3, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Eyes of Prey by John Sandford


I’ll admit it I’m terrified to start “Features” because I’m an inconsistent blogger, but I decided that since I read about a book a week and they aren’t all things that I’m interested in reviewing I’d start doing some Throwback Thursday reviews.  Basically anything I read pre-blog and still think about. 
I’m kicking things off this week with my favorite serial author John Sandford and the Prey Series.
 
 
 Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport #1)
John Sandford
Berkley 2005, 479 pgs
Borrowed then Purchased

Official Summary
The "maddog" murderer who is terrorizing the Twin Cities is two things: insane and extremely intelligent. He kills for the pleasure of it and thoroughly enjoys placing elaborate obstacles to keep police befuddled. Each clever move he makes is another point of pride. But when the brilliant Lieutenant Lucas Davenport--a dedicated cop and a serial killer's worst nightmare--is brought in to take up the investigation, the maddog suddenly has an adversary worthy of his genius.


First read
In 2001 had summer job that required me to be there to answer the phone and do some paperwork, but not nearly enough paperwork for the downtime.   My Dad read the Lucas Davenport series and there were plenty of them lying around the house so I started Rules of Prey…and didn’t stop til I was done with every book in the series (at that point).  I believe there were 11 or 12 at that point.  I have faithfully read every new addition to the series (as well as John Sandford’s other novels) on the day of publication.  As of this moment the Lucas Davenport series has 23 books and a new one is released every spring.

 
What made me love Rules of Prey
Lucas Davenport is a great series lead.  He’s a bad-ass with a fashion sense.  Very smart and as it has been previously established I LOVE SMART.  The side characters are always interesting although in each individual novel not especially fleshed out – over the course of the series you get a well rounded picture of each.  The “maddog” murderer in Rules of Prey is exactly how I like my villain – a truly demented SOB.


Why I keep reading the series
Consistency.  Lucas’s life evolves naturally over the course of the series but you could pick up any book and not feel lost.  There are zero To Be Continueds – an unpardonable book sin in my book.  The plot on all of them have me racing to finish, Sandford know how to throw in just the right amount of twists and turns that have your heart racing without feeling like you’ve been jerked around.

 
 
Bottom Line
If you’re looking for a series that you can count on to be a quick, easy (but thrilling) read you should definitely give Lucas and the Prey series a shot.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment