Monday, December 10, 2012

Church Guilt or Dog Guilt

I've been trying to avoid controversial topics on my blog.  I made it through election season, but I feel I need to post this and it's about faith.  Just an FYI.

On Sunday I chose Church guilt.  I was totally planning on going to church, but my poor puppy has been home alone WAY too much lately with my busy season at work.  Add the fact that I was gone a good chunk of Saturday and I decided I needed to spend some time at home.

But of course I still had a little bit of guilt for not going to Church on a day when I clearly could have.  Anyway I was surfing the 'net a bit and I stumbled accross a blog that linked to three different YouTube videos.  I knew that the topic of all of them was religious, but didn't know anything else and I chose to click the 2nd video.




It turned out to be Nadia Bolz-Weber, a speaker at the 2012 ELCA Youth Gathering in New Orleans.  I'm a member of the ELCA and attended the 1996 ELCA Youth Gathering the last time it was in New Orleans.

Listening to Nadia Bolz-Weber moved me to tears and cheers, but towards the end of her speech she said something that I feel I really needed to hear.  If we are open to God he works in us thru our weaknesses, not just our strengths. 

I am not perfect (stating the obvious).  I know that God forgives my sins, but I fear turning people away from God if I'm not perfect in my faith - which is contrary to the Word of God.  I am a sinner.  That is the reason I need God.  It's something to be shouted and not feared.




No comments:

Post a Comment