Thursday, January 24, 2013

Going too Far by Jennifer Echols

Going too Far
Jennifer Echols
245 pgs, 2009
Kindle

Summary from Amazon

All Meg has ever wanted is to get away. Away from high school. Away from her backwater town. Away from her parents who seem determined to keep her imprisoned in their dead-end lives. But one crazy evening involving a dare and forbidden railroad tracks, she goes way too far...and almost doesn't make it back.

John made a choice to stay. To enforce the rules. To serve and protect. He has nothing but contempt for what he sees as childish rebellion, and he wants to teach Meg a lesson she won't soon forget. But Meg pushes him to the limit by questioning everything he learned at the police academy. And when he pushes back, demanding to know why she won't be tied down, they will drive each other to the edge -- and over....

My Thoughts

Going too Far has been on my Kindle FOR. EV. ER. (I’m hearing Squints from The Sandlot in my head right now).   Thank God for the 2013 TBR list challenge or might never have gotten around to it and I LOVED it.

It’s not a flawless book.  Occasionally a word choice would strike me as odd, like it almost worked but changed what the sentence meant in a way the author didn’t intend, but overall I just got swept up in this one and didn’t care.

Meg rebels against everything and everyone.  She doesn’t make plans - other than leaving town right after graduation, she even skipping the graduation parties and Meg LOVES a party. 

Echols throws you right into the middle of Meg’s most dangerous and stupid decision to date.  You don’t know why she’s being as destructive as she is and the answers to that unfold beautifully thoughout the novel.  But somehow right at the beginning I was cheering for Meg. 

Meg is forced to spend quite a bit of time with John as a result of her terrible decision.  John is an absolute rule follower and I loved him too.  He really wants to do what is right, but you can tell that he is just as damaged as Meg, but handles it differently.

I loved how the relationship between Meg and John evolved over the course of the book.  I thought the sexual tension between them was unreal.  But it’s definitely YA, nothing explicit. 

Now I just have to keep myself off Amazon so I don’t immediately order all of Echols books and make my TBR pile even worse.

My Rating

Enjoyability – 5 out of 5
Relationships – 4 out of 5
Writing – 3 out of 5

This book will stay with me until I reread so many times I can quote it verbatim. 



2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read this, as I heard it was good YA romance. I am glad to know you enjoyed it-- means I probably will, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you definitely will! It's great for when you want something you can just breeze through.

      Delete