Monday, January 5, 2015

2015 Read Harder Challenge

I really want to grow as a reader this year.  I toyed with doing the PopSugar 2015 reading challenge, but there are a lot of categories in that challenge and honestly two/thirds of them are not challenging.  Then Elizabeth mentioned the Read Harder Challenge from Book Riot.  After looking over the categories it seemed like the perfect fit.  I few are gimmies, a few are a stretch, and several are really outside my comfort zone.

There’s also a Goodreads group for this challenge and it’s helpful if you need help find examples for a certain category. IE – Which books were written when authors were under 25 or over 65.

Here are the Categories – I’ve arranged by level of challenge.

Piece of Cake

A book by or about someone that identifies as LGBTQ

A book by a person whose gender is different from your own

A YA novel

A romance novel

An audiobook

A book that someone else has recommended to you

A book that you would consider a guilty pleasure (Read, and then realize that good entertainment is nothing to feel guilty over)

A book published this year

Gumby

A book written by someone when they were under the age of 25

A book written by someone when they were over the age of 65

A collection of short stories (either by one person or an anthology by many people)

A book published by an indie press

A book that takes place in Asia

A book by an author from Africa

A book that is by or about someone from an indigenous culture (Native Americans,Aboriginals, etc.)

A sci-fi novel

A book that is a retelling of a classic story (fairytale, Shakespearian play, classic novel, etc.)

A book that was originally published in another language

A graphic novel, a graphic memoir or a collection of comics of any kind (Hi, have you met Panels?)

Mount Everest

A microhistory

A National Book Award, Man Booker Prize or Pulitzer Prize winner from the last decade

A collection of poetry

A book published before 1850

A self-improvement book (can be traditionally or non-traditionally considered “self-improvement”)

2 comments:

  1. I need to put together a post about this challenge, too. I'm interested to see how I do with it... I haven't made a whole lot of plans yet. I'm such a mood reader and challenge like this kind of scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got some vague ideas for the hardest categories because I'm never gonna be in the mood to start those. It is a scary challenge - Microhistory?

    ReplyDelete