Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Top 10 Tuesday - Audiobooks

Every Tuesday the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish host a book related Top 10.Top 10 Tuesday

When I saw that this week's Top Ten Tuesday was an audiobook freebie I had to drop everything and put together a post. Fair warning, there will be formatting errors. I'm just praying it's readable.

I started listening to a few audiobook memoirs a few years ago, but I didn't become an audiobook junky until early 2015.  I was traveling weekly for work and they were long road trips.  I can only listen to about an hour of  music before time drags.



My audio listening timeline


2010 - Listened to my first audiobook on a road trip with my family.  It was Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris and we laughed so hard I remember thinking that it was probably dangerous to be driving.

2013 - Rainbow Rowell raved about the narrators of Eleanor & Park.  It had been a year since my first read and I decided to give the audio a shot for re-read.  Loved it.  Rebecca Lowman and Sunil Malhotra were both phenomenal and really added to the experience.  After that I read all of Rainbow's books once and then listened to the audio for my re-read. 






January 2015 - When I started my road travel for work I was still a little  gun shy about listening to fiction before first reading the book.  I was afraid my mind would wander too often so instead I started the first season of the Serial Podcast by Sarah Koenig.  It was amazing and I don't think I realized it at the time, but it also eased my fears about staying focused.



I next attempted my first fiction new book listen of The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling).  It's narrated by Robert Glenister and I want that man to read to me all the time.

From here I just went to town.  My strongest recommendations listened to from Feb 2016 til now.



The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer and read by Rebecca Soler

 
Rebecca Soler is truly a remarkable narrator. Each book introduces another main female character and she gives them each a distinct believable voice.  Every character in these books is easily distinguished from each other and there are a lot of characters. 


Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and read by Susan Ericksen

I know there are a lot of audio versions of this book, many read by famous actors, but I really enjoyed this version.  Its rare I make it through a classic and I loved this.

Yes Please by Amy Poehler, read by the author

I still read a lot of celebrity memoirs (because they are generally very entertaining audiobooks), but Amy's stands out as one I didn't want to end.  I can't imagine reading this book and not wanting to be her friend.

 




Illumine by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff read by a full cast

This is my new standard by audiobooks are measured.  This was a performance and I cannot wait for the sequel. 

Final recommendation - the What Should I Read Next podcast from Anne Bogel aka Modern Mrs. Darcy.  It comes out every Tuesday (new episode today!) and I usually drop my current audio book to listen on my way home from work.  Only con - my TBR list grows every episode.





2 comments:

  1. I didn't love Cinder, but the narration kept me going and I liked Scarlet much better. I am hoping to get to Cress some time soon.

    My TTT: "Dear Audiobook Producers: I Really Want These"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! My experience with Me Talk Pretty was somewhat similar. I laughed so hard in places that I actually cried - cried! One of my favorite parts was his regaling of his experience in taking French lessons in France. "Is thems the thoughts of cows?" "The rabbit of Easter. Her bring of the chocolate." LOL! Hilarious!

    Visiting from TTT.

    ReplyDelete