Thursday, July 23, 2015

Mini Reviews–Comedy Memoirs

Yes PleaseYes Please written and read by Amy Poehler

I dare you to read this book and not want to be Amy’s friend when you’re finished. In addition to being funny and surprisingly insightful, Yes Please highlights Amy’s warmth as a person.  You can tell how much she cares about everyone who comes into her life.

She tells funny stories, shares wonderful insightsThermometer rereading

“It takes years as a woman to unlearn what you have been taught to be sorry for.”

and gives what I feel is very good advice.

“Great people do things before they're ready. They do things before they know they can do it. Doing what you're afraid of, getting out of your comfort zone, taking risks like that- that's what life is. You might be really good. You might find out something about yourself that's really special and if you're not good, who cares? You tried something. Now you know something about yourself”

Amy is self deprecating, but also incredibly confident and I was so drawn to that the entire time I was listening.  She discusses situations in her life that have been hard and she also talks about one in particular that she’s ashamed of and the security I think it takes to tell those stories to the world is enviable.

I loved the book and the narration.

 

Is Everyone hanging out without meIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me written and read by Mindy Kaling

I’ve listened to quite a few memoirs by comedians at this point, but this is the first time I’ve felt like I had a lot in common with the writer.  Mindy’s a reader and I loved her insights on friendship – see Thermometer loved itchapter “Best Friend Rights and Responsibilities”.  Plus at 5’10” I’m evidently the perfect height to be her friend.

“After all these years with friends who are five ten or taller, I have come to carry myself with the confidence of a tall person. It’s all in the head. It works out.”

Mindy and her roommate put together a two person play entitled “Matt and Ben” that they actually performed on stage and I SO wish I could have seen it because just hearing about it made me laugh.

I will admit the last third of the book was a little scattered.  Like Mindy had run out of memoir material and it got random, but I was still entertained.

Overall wonderful book and Mindy’s narration definitely made it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment