Monday, March 23, 2015

Top Ten Book from My Childhood I Want to Revisit

Every Tuesday the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish host a book related Top 10.

Top-10-tuesday-main_thumb1_thumb

The week is books from childhood or teen years I’d like to revisit.

1. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I actually tried to reread these last year, but they are just a little too basic to enjoy rereading without kids to read them too. 

2.  Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary

I loved these books going up.  I actually bought a couple gorgeous illustrated hardback books in the series a few years ago.

3.  The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

I had this book memorized by age 4 and would “read” it to my parents.

4.  Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

I think the common ground of the books I want to read to my hypothetical children are books where the main character has a vivid imagination.

5.  Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

A higher adventure Laura Ingalls.  I wish I could find my copy.

6.  A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

I’ve actually reread this as an adult and still love it.  It’s been a few years so it’s probably time to revisit.

7.  The Devil’s Arithmetic by Jane Yolen

8.  Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

The Devil’s Arithmetic and Number the Stars are the first stories I remember reading myself about Jewish children living in Europe during the Holocaust.  These were library books that I didn’t own so I only read once or twice, but still remember.

9.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Ronald Dahl

Willy Wonka is a childhood must.  Add Oompa Loompa’s and candy and you’ve got a party!

10.  Children of the River by Linda Crew

I read this in late elementary school.  Sundara’s family fled Cambodia when she was 13.  Now in high school she’s struggling to fit in at her Oregon high school and still be a “good Cambodian girl”.  It’s the first book I remember reread with the POV of a refuge and it stuck with me.

3 comments:

  1. Roald Dahl made my childhood amazing, and I can't wait until I have kids and get to read them his books too, because they are just amazing!
    I have wanted to read The Little Princess FOREVER but still haven't gotten round to it :(
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory several times as a kid!! I also loved the movie version too.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/03/top-10-books-from-my-childhood-or-teen.html

    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was one of those books that had a movie adaptation to do it justice. All kids should read the book, then see the movie :)

    I loved all Ramona books too. I can remember getting in trouble over and over reading Beverly Cleary books past my bedtime.

    ReplyDelete