Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Back to the Classics Challenge 2013

To broaden my reading list a bit I'm going to participate in Sarah's Back to the Classics Challenge 2013.



There are six required Classics categories and 5 optional categories.  I'm going to shoot for getting all the required and optional categories.

I have a plan and a backup plan in every category (except Russian Lit - if I can't make it thru Lolita I don't know what I'll do), but these can change if I want them too.

The Required Categories:

1.  A 19th Century Classic - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte or  Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen or  A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

2.  A 20th Century Classic - The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton or Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

3.  A Pre-18th or 18th Century Classic: Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe or Love in Excess by Eliza Haywood

4.  A Classic that relates to the African-American Experience - Beloved by Toni Morrison or To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

5.  A Classic Adventure - Moby Dick by Herman Melville  

6.  A Classic that prominently features an Animal - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee or Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
 
Optional Categories:

    A.  Re-read a Classic  - Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell or The Little House on the Prairie Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder

   B.  A Russian Classic - Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

   C.  A Classic Non-Fiction title  - Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter or A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

   D.  A Classic Children's/Young Adult title - The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis or Across Five Aprils by  Irene Hunt

   E.  Classic Short Stories The Overcoat and Other Short Stories by Nikolai Gogol

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had some motivation to read the classics. I DNF all the ones I attempt to read any more. So good luck to you! I hope you like Jane Eyre, that is one of my favorite books ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping this gives me some motivation to read the classics. I dropped my reading goal to 52 books this year so I'd have time to read some stuff that's more challenging and review everything.

      The nice thing about classics is that I can get a lot of them free for Kindle.

      Delete